Sunday, January 06, 2008

Hong Kong Style Radish Cake



IngredientsAmounts
Rice flour
250g
Corn flour30g
Chinese Sausages
(Diced)
3
Minced Pork
300g
Dried Shrimps
(Finely Chopped)
1 Handful
Minced Onions + Garlics
1 + 3
Water
250ml
White Radish
89g
Oil
6 Tsp

Seasonings:
- Salt 2 tsp
- Sugar 2 tsp
- Chicken Powder 2 tsp
  1. Wash the radish, peeled and shred into fine thin slices. Drain away the fluid and set aside.
    DO NOT THROW THE FLUID AWAY! Keep the fluid for later use.

  2. Sift the flour ingredients together. Add in the water and mixed well, followed by adding in the fluid from the Radish and blend well.

  3. In a wok, heat up some oil and stir in the minced onions and garlics and fry till fragrant. Ad in the dried shrimps, Chinese sausages and minced pork. Stir well, scoop onto a plate and set aside for later use.

  4. Heat up the work and add in some more oil and bring the shredded radish to cook. Once the radish is soft, add the batter to the radish mixture and stir well.

  5. Add in the ingredients in step 3, stir in the seasonings and mix till all is incorporated well. The mixture should be thick and gluey.

  6. Pour the mixture into an aluminum pan and bring to steam over high heat at 45 mins.

  7. Allow the radish cake to cool before slicing it. Heat up some oil in a wok and pan fry the sliced radish cakes till golden brown.










This has been on my To-Do list for quite sometime. I was truly in love with Radish cake when I went Hong Kong in 2005. The radish cakes over there were so yummy delicious that I could eat them almost everyday for breakfast while on Holidays :P

In Singapore, it's not very hard to find pan fried Yam cake and local Carrot cake but to find Hong Kong style pan fried Radish cake (With Chinese sausages and minced pork), I guessed that's only available in Dim Sum outlets. It's not very cheap to dine in Dim sum outlet I can say. My mummy's friend spent a wholesome $100+ on dim sum! Worse of all, $100+ for only 2 person! That's seriously very very expensive.

Actually I always wanted to try out doing Yam cake. My mummy makes super whopper heavenly delicious Yam cake. Whether it's purely steam or pan fried, the yam cakes could just make my taste buds dance! How amazing isn't it? So, knowing that I am not possible able to do the perfect Yam cake like how my mummy does, I decided that if I have the crave for yam cake, I shall ask my mummy to make for me instead ;) Seriously, I love all the food my mum whips up. She can cook a dinner for 6 in less than 45 mins! It's really time to go on a cooking training with my mummy.

Anyway, my Royal Prince Charming love this radish cake! He commented that it taste exactly the same as the ones we had in Hong Kong except that mine has a slightly wetter texture. I guessed probably I shouldn't have add in that much water as requested in the recipe? Oh, this recipe was adapted from Leisure Cat. I modified the amount in the recipe as accordingly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs Kwok!!

Gosh... i'm drooling in from of my comp already! >.< It looks so good!! Can i drop by yr place to grab some later? =p I simply love all the root vegetables, be it yam, radish, carrot or turnips. I make a good rat! =X Jimmy is indeed very blessed to have found and marry you! And i too, blessed to know and learn from n with u. =) Jia you!

Happy Mrs Kwok said...

Hi Amanda!

I think I should be the one learning from you! I love all your bakes seriously!

Think we should fix a time to bake and cook together ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs Kwok, u mentioned in ur recipe that only 89gm of radish is needed to make this radish cake.
is there typo error or u really only use 89gm?
Quite alot of difference from the original. Please advise. :)