Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Seaweed Pork Floss Loaf




Makes 1 loaf

IngredientsAmounts
Bread Flour200g
Salt¼ Tsp
Sugar10g
Plain Yogurt35g
Instant dry yeast2g
Water80g
Butter15g

Filling: Seaweed Pork Floss

  1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients together exception of the butter. With the help of a mixer, hook the mixture using low speed. When dough is formed, change the speed to medium.

  2. When the dough is no longer lumpy, add in the butter and continuing hooking. As step 1, hook using low speed and changed to medium speed when dough is smooth and shiny. Hooking should takes about 20-30 mins, depending on individual mixer force and speed.

  3. When dough is finally ready, allow to proof for 80 mins. Remember to place the dough in another bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

  4. When the dough has proofed, it should increase double in size. Roll the dough into a big round ball and allow it to rest for another 15 mins.

  5. Next, roll the dough into a rectangular shape. Apply the seaweed pork floss onto the dough evenly. Once done, roll up the dough like the way a swissroll does. Allow the dough to go through another round of proofing for 60 mins.

  6. Coat the dough with beaten egg and bring to bake at 180 degree Celsius for 30 mins.



I have always like the Pork floss buns that can be found in many of the bakeries. However, whenever I recall the amount of butter or mayonnaise that is being applied to it, I got this feeling that a big pile of weight just got clinged onto me. Being a very "bready" person, I can go on 3 meals with just bread, jam and peanut butter. I can even choose bread over a sumptuous meal and my parents could never understand why. Well, neither do I :P

Was flipping through my bread recipe "孟老師的100道麵包" as usual and saw this Pork Floss recipe. Browse through the ingredients and realised that very little or in fact, you can replace the butter with healthier choice like Canola or Olive Oil. It's less fattening, I assume.

The result was good except for the part that I could have done better was the rolling procedure. I guessed if I were to roll the dough tighter, then some part of the bread would not have come loose when I sliced down. Nevertheless, I will nominate this bread to be my every weekend breakfast! It's fast and tasty and soft and fluffy! I'm running out of descriptions but I'm sure you guys will love it! Bon appetit!

Oh, by the way, my seaweed pork floss flew all the way from Taiwan! A complimentary from my Mother in law! LOL! It's surely taste much better than the pork floss we get here.


6 comments:

Aimei said...

Hi Mrs Kuo,

Your hubby is so fortunate to have home baked goodies everytime! :)

Did you use a handheld mixer or stand mixer? I only have a handheld which is not very powerful thus I gotto use hands to knead.

Happy Mrs Kwok said...

Hi Aimei,

Thanks! My hubby is complaining that he has put on extreme weight after getting married. LOL.

I used to own a Hand mixer but because they were not very good for bread and furthermore I don't have much strength, thus my hubby bought me a Kenwood Pastisser. It looks like the one from KitchenAid. Not too bad. Actually I still prefer to use hand mixer because the power is much stronger.

Aimei said...

I see. :) Hmmm guess i just make do with my handheld cos my kitchen has no space for any stand mixer.

Oh no what happen to my blog title pic? How come half of it cut off?

Happy Mrs Kwok said...

Hi Aimei,

I believe it might got to do with your image size. Probably it's too big for your monitor resolution.

LCD, Laptop or CRT? They makes a difference and also the inches too.
Maybe you can provide me with the specs and I see what I can help from there :)

Aimei said...

Hi,

Mine is a CRT 17-inch. Everything was fine intially when I added the picture. It can accommodate a bigger height but I do not know how come suddenly a few days ago the height ratio reduced so now the picture i see is not the full picture.

Happy Mrs Kwok said...

Hi Aimei,

It is most likely your PC's IE resolution :)

I viewed your blog and the header banner turns out to be full. I could see 3 full cupcakes :D

Sometimes blogger can get squeaky. I used to upload mp3 but blogger just wouldn't tune out the music. Most likely it got nothing to do with your pc. I believe it's blogger issue ;)

Btw, your bakes are real delicious. I think you should create a banner with all the goodies that you have baked! It's a waste not to show it off to the rest of the bloggers.